UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: determinedmom Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 457603  
Subject: Re: Value of College Date: 2/11/2013 2:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
For some folks college is completely unnecessary, but for the majority of folks that are college material they need at least a four year degree in the modern world.

Only because everybody keeping saying it. Not because it is actually true. First - before I knock the idea of a bachelor's degree for everyone - let me make it clear that for those who actually want a bachelor's degree I think that obtaining it should be affordable and encouraged.

That said -- for a significant number of bachelor's degrees there is actually no compelling need for the student to have to go to school for 4 years. Yes, I believe in education for its own sake (I personally have 3 degrees) and, no, education is not just about job training.

However, for the majority of students, education is mostly about either job training (if you are fortunate) or getting a piece of paper to prove that you can get through 4 years of college in the hope that this will help you get a job that is wholly unrelated to the degree you just obtained.

The reality is that for the vast majority of degrees, students would be better by taking approximately 2 years of courses that focus on the specific course of study. If you want to be a pharmacist - study pharmacy and not history or literature or all the other things that are totally unrelated to pharmacy. (You could take them if you wanted you just wouldn't required to do so).

You can obtain a 2 year degree in interior design at the community college for a small fraction of the cost to obtain a 4 year degree in interior design. I seriously doubt that you really "need" to have that 4 year degree to be an interior designer and I question the value of the additional cost.

I don't doubt the personal satisfaction of taking courses that are unrelated to your major. However, in many instances they can be stumbling blocks to obtaining a degree at all and - at best - are simply a very expensive route to personal fulfillment. I enjoyed some of the courses I took in college that were totally unrelated to my future career. However, in the modern word, that knowledge could have been acquired many other ways that were far cheaper.

It often seems that everyone expects everybody - regardless of aptitude or interests - to obtain a 4 year degree. This is how you end up having careers that used to require 1 or 2 years of training now requiring a bachelor's degree. But the reality is that that 4 year degree was not and is not really needed.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement