Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
For the past 6 months I have been supporting a friend 100% they are not related to me and not working. They own the house we live in and usually file head of household. Since I have been supporting them for the past 6 months would I be able to claim them on my taxes? or would I be able to file as head of household?

Maybe on the dependency; no on head of household.

For a dependent who is not a relative by blood or marriage or a foster child to meet the member of household test, the person must reside in your home for the entire year. It's not clear whether the two of you have lived together for the entire year 2000. If so, this test is met.

The other two dependency tests of special concern are support and gross income. You must have provided more than half the total support for the entire year, and your friend cannot have gross income above $2,800.

To file head of household you must provide a home for a "qualified person." A qualified person must be a relative by blood or marriage.

You can read about both issues in the FAQ and in IRS Publication 501.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.