No. of Recommendations: 0
For the record, even during the current depressed market I could sell the house I live in for 8 to 9 times what I paid for it. Bought for $72,000, currently $600K to $700K.

The price paid goes up when you take into account the interest net of taxes paid over the years. I personally found paying interest so much fun I made extra principal payments for seven years and paid the mortgage off years in advance. People who like the fact that mortgage interest is deductible apparently like giving their money to bankers more than they like giving it to the government.

My point is, if I sell the house, I have to buy another house, or generate income with the proceeds to pay rent. I could do a reverse mortgage but that only maybe provides for maintenance and some of the expenses.

A house for most of us, is and should be a place to live, not a piggy bank. The money from the sale of a house may pay for housing (which you already have if you own a house) but what about all of the other expenses?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement