Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
For those of you just turning in, my employer overpaid me in 2003. I sent them a check for the overpayment in 2003, but they didn't get around to opening the envelope until 2004.

So, I contacted my employer and asked for an amended W-2 form. They sent me out a W-2C with reduced SS earnings, reduced SS tax withheld, and reduced medicare tax withheld, but no changes in box 1 income, or state income.

I asked them what the deal was and they referred me to publication 525 - 'Repayments', and that the amount I repaid was wages less FICA, and that I should use the wage amount, whatever that is, to adjust my box 1 income on my 2004 tax return. Does this seem right?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.