Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
For whatever reason (and I wish I knew what it is...but I don't), broker houses are exempt from filing the Form 1099B for option transactions.

I tried to do a search for options and taxes, and this is as close as I get. I have gains this year from buying calls. I don't know where to report them, though.. Do I:

- Report these on Schedule D just like stocks?
- Report these on Form 6781? (What is a Sec 1256, anyway?)
- Report them someplace else entirely?
- Don't report them at all and hope I never get audited (Whee! Tax free income!)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.