Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Based on their financials, I went short SZYM at 2.57 on 12/08, intending an investment. For sure, per the chart, I was very late.

However, I was selling trashing, and knew I was selling trash. So the investment had a high probability of turning a decent profit. However, due to “buy-ins”, I was forced out the position this morning (01/21) at 1.62 due to my broker having to scramble for shares. Net gain: 58.6% (or the very meaningless 4,498% annualized.)

Now comes the post-mortum that has to be done whenever an investment --long or short-- is closed out. Was the investment handled properly? Specifically, by how much did I have to allow prices to move against me for the investment to work as intended?

If you hate seeing charts, then you hate seeing charts. But a price chart is the proper tool to assess investment-risk, and the following chart is good enough for that purpose.

You can see that once I opened, prices moved against me by as much as (-16.7%) --price move 'up' are price moves 'down' for short-sellers-- or a whole lot more than I'd ever tolerate if the position were intended as a trade instead. But I had intended an investment, and I was confident in my fundamentalist work. So I ignored adverse price moves and was vindicated for not panicking out of the position. Right now, prices are 1.73 x 1.72, or higher than where I covered. So, I avoided at squeeze (and reduced profits) on exit out of sheer dumb luck, which is a real No-no. 

How would I score my performance? A 'D' (or 'Dumb') for execution. (1) I was late. (2) My exit was involuntary. So, yeah, I made money --this time-- because the market gods forgave me a bunch of mistakes. Hopefully, when I close out my other shorts, both profits and executions will be better. 

Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.