Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I used to own some CPU but in March 2000 CPU was
bought-out (if I remember correctly) and the stock I
owned was sold automatically - I couldn't have held onto
the stock even if I wanted to. I had owned the stock for
less than a year, so do I have to report short term
gains (at the higher tax rate) for this, even though it
was a "forced sale"? Are there special tax reporting
rules that apply in such a situation?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.