Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18054  
Subject: Ford Paint Date: 8/23/2013 2:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
http://wardsauto.com/plants-amp-production/ford-dirt-detecti...

Ford has developed a computer scan technology that they use to help eliminate particles in the vehicle paint job:

Ford says its all-new technology developed in-house is proving successful in helping eliminate fine particles of dirt during the paint process to ensure an optimal finish.

The dirt-detection technology, which Ford says is an industry first, uses a high-resolution camera to generate a 3-dimensional model that can be used to identify and eliminate dirt particles smaller than a grain of salt.

The imaging system applies varying degrees and angles of light while scoping the paint surface of the vehicle body to identify dirt in paint and other irregular conditions, cueing operators where to polish and buff out imperfections.

High-resolution images – 3,150 are captured in 15 seconds on every vehicle – are stitched together for a full 3-D image that is compared to a perfect computer model.

<snip>

Ford data shows the new system leads to an 82% improvement in paint quality, helping boost customer-satisfaction metrics for surface finish.

Rob
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SkepikI One star, 50 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17745 of 18054
Subject: Re: Ford Paint Date: 8/23/2013 2:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Well that has a pretty big gee-whiz factor... When does the auto laser bug and micro-meteor defense system come out? ;-)

Author: DHeavy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17748 of 18054
Subject: Re: Ford Paint Date: 8/26/2013 3:39 PM
Recommendations: 0
Rob

Interesting, but I suspect that in the long run, this "system" will drive the operators, quality inspectors, and plant managers literally insane. They will be buffing until the cows come home, and then some.

From the article:

“Minute particles can enter a shop floor from multiple environmental sources, machinery or workers, which makes paint quality one of the toughest variables to control in production,” he tells WardsAuto. “The (new) technology is efficient enough to capture 100% of production.”

The system does nothing to prevent the particles. All it does is identify the particles that will inevitably be there.

I am not sure this is actually a good thing.

DHeavy

Author: NozRydr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17750 of 18054
Subject: Re: Ford Paint Date: 8/26/2013 5:17 PM
Recommendations: 1
<<The system does nothing to prevent the particles. All it does is identify the particles that will inevitably be there.>>

ummmmmm, ya know first rule of Quality Engineering?

If ya can't measure it, you can't improve it.

2nd rule is a corollary of rule #1:

If ya don't measure it, ya'll never improve it.

Yeah, maybe Phillip Crosby, Juran or Feigenbaum never actually said that but it's axiomatic in the biz

Author: RHinCT Big red star, 1000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17751 of 18054
Subject: Re: Ford Paint Date: 8/26/2013 5:54 PM
That sounded like the sort of device Cognex would get involved in but I found no references to it on their web site. 8-(

RH in CT, long F and CGNX

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17771 of 18054
Subject: Re: Ford Paint Date: 9/19/2013 11:29 AM
"The system does nothing to prevent the particles. All it does is identify the particles that will inevitably be there."
&
"I am not sure this is actually a good thing."

Anything that helps target (see) defects before they're built up over is what any artisan (or discerning customer) dreams of... the decision of how perfect to then tweak the object is a different decision of result vs time-cost.
B
(Has painted cars and guitars - wet sanding out a blemish or debris that one wish they saw earlier gets old fast)

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17772 of 18054
Subject: Re: Ford Paint Date: 9/19/2013 11:30 AM
"That sounded like the sort of device Cognex would get involved in but I found no references to it on their web site. 8-("

FWIW I'm in one of their buildings & never see anyone of that scale going on around the campus - just smaller assy line vision systems,
B

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17773 of 18054
Subject: Re: Ford Paint Date: 9/19/2013 11:31 AM
Anything not anyone...damned spell changer ;-)
B

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement