Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
IRS Pub 54 says:

"For 2003, you cannot exclude more than the smaller of:

$80,000, or

Your foreign earned income (discussed earlier) for the tax year minus your foreign housing exclusion (discussed later).

If both you and your spouse work abroad and you and your spouse meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test, you can each choose the foreign earned income exclusion. You do not both need to meet the same test. Together, you and your spouse can exclude as much as $160,000 for 2003. "

My questions:

1. Can you both claim the deduction even if you are filing jointly?

2. If you are filing jointly and you both meet the residence requirements, but one spouse is not working, can you still claim the full $160,000 deduction against the one foreign income that you have?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.