Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey all,

I am currently working in Japan (have been for a few years now).

I have a traditional IRA but was wondering if I should switch to a Roth.

You see, I get a $72,000 automatic deduction from my income. That's right. If I don't make $72,000 in the year I don't have to pay taxes on any of my earned income.

This places me in a very strange tax bracket... I think... I don't know since I've never had to pay any taxes on my income thus far (and I guess I would be happy if I exceeded the deductable amount... :-)

Where can I find info on IRAs that deals with this kind of question?

Thank you for your time,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.