Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Wazir1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121217  
Subject: Foreign investors and tax Date: 3/11/1999 2:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a relative who is a citizen of an Asian country and lives there permanently. He wants to know if he opens an account with a brokerage firm in the USA and invests in stocks of US companies, will he owe taxes to the US government. He thinks since he will not be living in the USA and hence not using any public facilities or benefits, but rather contributing to the US economy by his investment, he will not be taxed. Plus he will have to pay taxes on his worldwide income back home. So he should not be subject to double taxation. I will appreciate if anyone can enlighten me in this regard. Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12172 of 121217
Subject: Re: Foreign investors and tax Date: 3/14/1999 11:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
[[I have a relative who is a citizen of an Asian country and lives there permanently.
He wants to know if he opens an account with a brokerage firm in the USA and
invests in stocks of US companies, will he owe taxes to the US government.]]

Generally on any interest or dividends earned, the answer would be yes. But there would generally be no US tax on capital gains.

[[ He
thinks since he will not be living in the USA and hence not using any public
facilities or benefits, but rather contributing to the US economy by his
investment, he will not be taxed.]]

That is very prudent thinking...but Uncle Sammy never let prudent thinking stand in the way of collecting taxes.

[[ Plus he will have to pay taxes on his worldwide
income back home. So he should not be subject to double taxation.]]

It is possible that he will receive a CREDIT against his "home" taxes for the US taxes that he may be charged. But that will be up to the laws of his "home" country.

[[ I will
appreciate if anyone can enlighten me in this regard. Thanks.]]

For additional reading, go to the IRS web site and download/read IRS Publications 519 and 901. That'll give you a LOT of information on this very issue.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. It'll help you with your 1998 taxes, and it's never to early to start planning for your 1999 taxes. So just click on this link (http://www.foolmart.com/market/product.asp?pfid=MF+013+I) to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes.htm and you'll be right at the home page. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on http://www.irs.ustreas.gov to go directly there.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement