Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all,
This year I am going to be receiving roughly $20,000 as a beneficiary of a foreign (Canadian) trust. I have been told by the trustees that all taxes have been paid in Canada and that I should not owe the US government any taxes on this money. However the trustees are not very familiar with US tax laws, so I'm not sure they are correct about this. I know that there is a foreign tax credit, but I don't know if it applies in this situation. I plan to put some of the money into my existing traditional IRA. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to declare this money on my tax return?

2. Do I need to complete the foreign tax credit?

3. Is it likely that I will owe the US goverment tax on this money?

4. If so, how can I legally avoid paying such tax?

5. Would I be better off opening a Roth IRA to put this money into instead of putting it in my existing traditional IRA for the tax benefits (since in theory tax has already been paid on this money)?

Thanks for the help!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.