Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My girlfriend is from Japan only in the US for college. We are trying to get an ameritrade account set up but there are some massive questions i am having about it.

1. I have been told, the right form for her is W-8BEN but it also says on it that she should not use the form if she recieved income tied to a business in the US. She has a part time job here so does that mean she needs to file the W-8ECI???

2. Also, is the 1001 form also required?

3. What is all this about treaty? The W-8BEN states that its an optional statement but is Japan a country with income tax treaty with the US?

4. Finally, what is the final word on her status. She has no working visa, nor a greencard. She has been in the US since 06/96 and today is 4/00. There are spends approximately 5 months at a time in the US then takes a 1 month trip back home.

The International student office says she is nonresident alien, but its soooo confusing since they talk about the numbers of days she is in the country

if anyone could help with this i would greatly appreciate it. thanks a lot!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.