Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am seeking some information on working overseas. Several friends are in the same situation, so I shall describe the major issues which apply to all. They work overseas as self employed people, entertainers, pay all their own expenses - housing, meals, health insurance, transportation etc., and are resident in the USA (in other words are in the US more than 33 days in a year and maintain a residence stateside). The foreign tax is 30%, they pay approximately 20% commission to agents and then must do their living expenses. The expenses are not fully deductible and they must pay FICA and estimated Fed and State taxes. By our estimation out of every $100US earned they keep 17 - 25%. So if they make 75 - 100 thousand in a year they only get to keep what's left after being ravaged by expenses, FICA and taxes. Seems obscene to me. What to do? Any ideas? (Please don't say get another line of work!) Thanks.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.