Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Re: $5 Gas Date: 6/11/2008 4:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Forget the popcorn - movie tickets just jumped in price around here. "Bargain matinees" are now $8.50, "regular" price is $10.50. We treated 2 of our kids, their spouses, and three of the grandkids to Indiana Jones the other day. Oy! When we were younger, we'd drop the kids off at grandma's and head for the one dollar theater. Heck, when we were kids, we'd go to Saturday matinees for 25¢.

Now, when a movie comes out that I think I want to see, I usually just add it to my Netflix list, and see it when it's released to CD's a year or so later.

As for movie snacks, I always just bring a Tootsie Pop or two. First I eat the lollypop, then I gnaw on the stick till it unravels. When I leave the theater, I'm covered with white stick fragments.

Trini

Last time I went to a movie theater – and I had to think about it – was more than ten years ago. For me the worse place to see a movie is in a movie theater. I have a home theater system that’s far better than any of the local fleapits.

I buy previously viewed DVD’s (about $10-18), make my own popcorn, and curl up on the couch with Elly and whichever cat that has a mind to. So we watch a movie (pausing to pee at our choosing) and that’s about a $20 dollar evening.

Of course, the economics are somewhat skewed because the home theater system across the years cost about $35,000 and no way can I balance out that yet I have a 60-in. HDTV and 11.2 sound.

I justify it by saying I buy cheaper movies and don’t pay high snack costs but, in fact, I don’t like movie theaters. Not to go into a song and dance about it but most movie theaters are poor at both picture and sound reproduction. Add in bad seats making one’s tail ache and I’d rather be at home, thank you.

MichaelR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement