Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rfoster Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Forgot to include W2's Date: 4/17/2000 4:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I know, I'm a goof - but when I did them last week, I just wanted them gone.
So I bundled them into an envelope, licked and stamped (opened again because I forgot to sign - did I mention I'm a goof?) and then sent

I realized yesterday that I forgot to enclose my W2s do I
1) send seperate, no copy of taxes
2) Dont send, dont worry - keep handy in case of an audit.
3) Panic, call IRS and find out how to send
4) send with copy of tax forms

My taxes are fairly straight forward. Salary, ROTH IRA and a few other investments. HELP!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mplynch One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34593 of 121061
Subject: Re: Forgot to include W2's Date: 4/17/2000 4:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I would not recommend filing another return or sending in the W-2's.

Just have them on hand.

You will probably get a letter from the IRS stating that you did not include your W-2's and requesting them. When that letter comes, return the letter with the W-2.

Mike Lynch

Author: jthrelkeld Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34607 of 121061
Subject: Re: Forgot to include W2's Date: 4/17/2000 6:09 PM
Just have them on hand.

I'll go you one better: I forgot to enclosed *all* of our various tax statements (W2s, brokerage interest, student loan interest, mortgage int., etc.).

Should I also sit back and wait for the letters of request to pour in, or should I do something else since I managed to leave out virtually everything except the actual return and the check?

Argh!

Author: angelbuggy Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34611 of 121061
Subject: Re: Forgot to include W2's Date: 4/17/2000 6:30 PM
You don't need to enclose statements from your mortgage co., banks, brokers, etc. The IRS gets all that info directly from the source. Keep those copies in your records for yourself. You just need to include your W-2. So you didn't leave out at much as you thought you did!

Author: mplynch One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34666 of 121061
Subject: Re: Forgot to include W2's Date: 4/18/2000 12:50 AM
Generally, the only items you need to attach to your return are W-2's (always) and other items (such as 1099's) IF they show income tax withheld.

Mike Lynch

Author: jthrelkeld Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34696 of 121061
Subject: Re: Forgot to include W2's Date: 4/18/2000 12:05 PM
Well, it's good to know I'm not the bumbler I thought I was.

I think I'll give the IRS hotline a call anyway just to see what they say.

Thanks, all...

Author: rfoster Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34810 of 121061
Subject: Re: Forgot to include W2's Date: 4/20/2000 4:03 PM
Thanks!

Unfortunetly this is probably going to slow my refund isnt it :-(

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement