Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Forgot to mention, the module also comes with the embroidery foot.
Print the post Back To Top
Idon't have much advice to give, but I just had to say "hello" since I'd popped into the Fool.

My one suggestion is to take one of the feet from your current machine with you. The reason I'm suggesting it is that sometimes the feet from one brand will fit another, even when they're manufactured by different companies. (Although it's years since I bought them, I'm certain a couple of the feet for my Brother machine are made by Bernina. Ditto bobbins - it's worth a try with them, too.)

- Pam
So does anyone have either the 770QE or another Bernina machine? Do you have all those extra specialty feet? What do you like about the machine? What would you change?

I have a Bernina, although not that one. Mine is one of the embroidery machines. I love it for regular sewing, and I love the built-in fonts for embroidery. I HATE that the software is proprietary, and basically any embroidery templates from anywhere else will not work properly with the Bernina without proper translation. That part shouldn't affect you much.

HTH,
Kathleen
Mine is one of the embroidery machines. I love it for regular sewing, and I love the built-in fonts for embroidery.

So how much embroidering do you do? My machine is actually the first one that New Home did that could embroider, and I found I did it a couple of times, but that was about it. Of course, it was fairly limited in capability, although advanced for its time, and I didn't want to have to deal with doing patterns in pieces and getting the set-up just right each time it would have needed to be moved.

I remember doing some Christmas ornaments, and I did make DS an amazing blazer with a very nice nautical pocket, thanks to the embroidering capability of my machine.

I used to sew a lot of clothing, and still do special things like cocktail dresses, but I've moved more to things like quilts and tote bags (I've made this one http://thecreativethimble.com/shop/professional-tote/ about a dozen times, and highly recommend it) and wallets and such.

Depending on what happens with my machine, I may get a new one now, or wait some more as I really do like my machine. But I've had the current machine for 25 years (got it while the kids were actually still in the hospital), and am thinking that my next machine will be my last as I expect to get a similar life.

I've already warned DH about the price tag of one of these, but he has been pushing me to get a long arm, and those are ridiculous. I am happy with quilting on my sewing machine, but it isn't lost on me that quilting is a whole lot easier on the newer machines, and so spending more to get some of that functionality is fine, particularly as I wouldn't need to add a long arm to the collection (I have a serger already).

Thanks for the comments.
I have a Bernina 630, and I like it. I think it has too many features for the type of sewing that I do. I mostly quilt, but I want to move into garment sewing.

I like that it has some basic stitches that will work with knits since I don't have a serger. I use the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) when I free motion quilt, but you may have already mastered that if you quilt on your current machine.

Bernina does have a nice quarter inch foot, and also a quarter inch foot with a guide, which I prefer. I have about 20 feet, most of which I bought when the store where I purchased it had demos on the feet. For example, I have a piping foot, but I have never made piping. I stopped buying feet a long time ago.

The machine comes with basic feet, such as a edge foot, an open toe foot, and a zipper foot. The quilting edition probably comes with a darning foot and a quarter inch foot as well.

I'm quite happy with my Bernina, I've had it for just over 10 years, and I haven't had any problems with it. The store where I purchased it went out of business, then the dealer nearest to me after I moved went out of business, then the next closest dealer went out of business, and it happened yet again. There are a couple of newer dealers, but I don't have confidence they will stay in business long since so many Bernina dealers come and go.

In fact, I am taking a break to rest my shoulders, I'm quilting a baby quilt backed with Minkee right now, I can't wait to finish it.

I look forward to hearing what you think after you shop tomorrow.

I believe isewquilts also uses a Bernina, maybe she will contribute to the discussion.

Cosmos
I use the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) when I free motion quilt, but you may have already mastered that if you quilt on your current machine.

The BSR is one of the features that really interests me. I like that the stitches are all the same length, something which I still find challenging, but that hasn't stopped me from doing the free-motion quilting.

The machine comes with basic feet, such as a edge foot, an open toe foot, and a zipper foot. The quilting edition probably comes with a darning foot and a quarter inch foot as well.

I went back to the Bernina site and looked again. The 770QE does come with the 1/4" foot, but they call it a patchwork foot, which is not a name I've ever heard, so I didn't realize it was the same thing. It is the one with the guide. They have a nice video on the site showing how to do the 1/8" and 1/4" seams by the markings on the foot as well as mitering the corners by markings on the foot. It is the same method I use today for that, but today, I have to mark the point at which to stop sewing vs. having a foot that is marked already. So that sounds like it would be nice and convenient.

I am definitely talking myself into doing this now. I told DH that it really isn't a question of if I am getting a new machine. It is really more a question of when. I have had the current machine for 25 years, and I do love it and don't yet use all its capabilities, but I want a machine for the next 25 years, and it just might be time.

I am heading out in about an hour, and will report back on what I find. I may also look at the Pfaffs that they have. The shop also carries Husqvarna / Viking, but I've just never liked their machines, so I expect I will be looking at the Pfaffs and Bernina this time.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have 2 Berninas, a 640 and a 740. I am soooo happy with the extra space from the needle to the right side of the machine on the 740...I just quilted a king sized quilt on it with no struggles.
There are a few different 1/4" feet, ask to see them to evaluate when you go to test drive. One thing that annoys me about Bernina is the cost of the feet. I find that I really only need a few of them because I don't do a lot of specialty sewing other than quilting.
Bernina does have price specials during the year, and it may be worthwhile for you to get on the local dealers mailing list to find out about those specials. I had been lusting after the 740 but the price scared me...then I found about a trade in sale, and they gave me a great price with my 1230 trade in, which needed several hundred dollars worth of new gears (heavy use for many years will do that....😄).

Hmmm...what would I change about my Berninas? Other than the price of the machines and the feet, nothing that I can identify.
Report back!

Isewquilts2
OHHHHH! Forgot to mention the 740 has a HUGE bobbin, I can't tell you how much I love that! I quilt all day and run out of bobbin only 2 or 3 times. It's fabulous!

Isewquilts2
I just wanted to get back to everyone, but I don't have a lot to report. Apparently, the 770QE is a very popular machine, and so they are back-ordered. I went to 2 different shops, and neither had one they could show me. However, the 2nd shop did use the 740 on the floor to show me the features that are the same, and pointed out the differences that really came down to the BSR and the embroidery ability.

I will go back to see the 770QE in person once they are available, which everyone was expecting to be in the next couple of weeks.

However, in looking back at the Bernina website, I see that they have something called the 765 Special Edition which is about $500 cheaper than the 770, and seems to be the same machine from comparisons I have seen on the web, but does not include the BSR. However, they seem to be running a special where you can buy the 765, and get a choice of a free option bundle - Bundle 1 is to get a 330, Bundle 2 is to get the BSR with the foot and the separate walking foot, and Bundle 3 is to get the embroidery module. The 765 has a rose colored front that I'm not crazy about, but I am thinking that this may be the way to go to get essentially the same thing for a big less money.

I did talk to DH about it, and he says to get the one I want, and that even with the extra cost of the 770, I will have it for another 25 years, and so it won't really matter in the long run.

But I still need to convince myself that I want to do this. I am almost there, but I really need to see the machine up close and personal.

Oh, the woman at the first store did point out that there is actually a simulator that can be downloaded from the Bernina website for the 770, and I have done that and started to play around with it. I thought that was a neat tool and a good way to get my feet wet.

So not much to report yet, but I love all the feedback from everyone.
In my opinion....make sure the BSR is something you really need before you buy it. As I was test sewing before buying by doing some free motion quilting, the salesperson looked at me and said "you sew too fast for the BSR, it will just frustrate you". If you are an experienced machine quilter, you may not need the expense of the BSR. Be sure you have a good explanation and time to work with it before you decide to purchase the BSR. Having said that, some of my quilting friends are thrilled with it.

Isewquilts2
"you sew too fast for the BSR, it will just frustrate you".

Yes, when I am doing a basic stipple I sew at a faster pace than the BSR can handle. I think it is worth my time to learn how FMQ without the BSR. I found the BSR helpful this weekend when I FMQ around some applique shapes that were a bit tricky.

What does the simulator do? I cannot picture this.

Cosmos
Yes, when I am doing a basic stipple I sew at a faster pace than the BSR can handle. I think it is worth my time to learn how FMQ without the BSR.

Interesting that folks are finding the BSR too slow. I do some amount of FMQ, but my stitches are not uniform at all, and that's what I was thinking the BSR will do. I like a previous suggestion about bringing in some quilt sandwiches and playing around both with the BSR and quilting without it to see what I think and so I will do that.

What does the simulator do?

It seems to show you what all the various controls do. I'm not finding it overly wonderful, but it's a way to work through the functions on my own and at my own pace. Here's the link.

https://www.bernina.com/en-US/Products-US/BERNINA-products/S...

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you will see they have the simulator to download.
I got the 765 special edition a few months ago. I bought it mainly for quilting, but did select the embroidery module as my 'bonus'. (I'm taking a class next week to learn how to use that.) I love the machine, but the feet and other accessories are expensive. The dealer/quilt shop I bought it from is a great place, busy, helpful staff, lots of the free Bernina classes, been around 50 years, and fairly close to home.
I got the 765 special edition a few months ago. I bought it mainly for quilting, but did select the embroidery module as my 'bonus'. (I'm taking a class next week to learn how to use that.),

What do you plan to use the embroidery for? I have embroidery on my current machine, and have used it a handful of times, but it is something I'd love to find a use for. They had samples at the sewing machine store of a quilt that they used embroidery on to do the quilting, and it was gorgeous, but it was quilted as individual blocks (maybe to get it in the hoop? I didn't ask why it was done that way) and then put together into a quilt, but I prefer seeing all the quilting on the backing as well.

Also, what sort of cabinet do you have the machine in? These machines are bigger than the one I have, although the drop-down space I have is just a shade larger than the machine width. I have a custom-built sewing room that DH built about 20 or 25 years ago at the other house, and we made sure that my sewing room in this house was designed to be big enough to accommodate it plus my work table, which he also built. I'm thinking he may need to rout out the hole just a bit to make it bigger so that I can get the machine in, but I was thinking I might be able to find a cabinet that he could see for dimensions.

I am slowly talking myself into this. I got my quarterly bonus yesterday, and the boss says I should just buy that machine! But the 770's are back-ordered, and I haven't asked about or seen anyone with a 765. Might be worth a few phone calls, however.
In my opinion....make sure the BSR is something you really need before you buy it. As I was test sewing before buying by doing some free motion quilting, the salesperson looked at me and said "you sew too fast for the BSR, it will just frustrate you". If you are an experienced machine quilter, you may not need the expense of the BSR. Be sure you have a good explanation and time to work with it before you decide to purchase the BSR. Having said that, some of my quilting friends are thrilled with it.

I agree, I have literally never used mine. I do mostly clothing, very little quilting. I love having the built-in embroidery functions. I use those to trim clothing and it comes out beautiful. Truthfully, I rarely use any of the custom embroidery designs because it's such a hassle to get them specifically for the Bernina, but I really adore the built-in ones.

Kathleen
So how much embroidering do you do? My machine is actually the first one that New Home did that could embroider, and I found I did it a couple of times, but that was about it. Of course, it was fairly limited in capability, although advanced for its time, and I didn't want to have to deal with doing patterns in pieces and getting the set-up just right each time it would have needed to be moved.

Most of the embroidery I do is as trim to the clothing. One thing I really love about the Bernina is the versatility. Quite honestly, that machine can handle ANYTHING!!! I've even sewn leather on it! It is tough as nails, and works like a charm. I love the fact that I can sew almost anything on it simply by changing the needle(s) and the foot. I have a serger also simply because even though the Bernina can do a serger-type stitch for knits, it's kinda slow compared to my serger. When I'm making stuff like bathing suits, I use the actual serger for long straight (or mostly straight) seams, and the Bernina serger stitch for curvy areas. I love that I can use almost any thread in it and it still works wonderfully.

Although I do not do a lot of quilting, I have done quilting on the Bernina, and it was great. Like the others said, I sew way too fast for the BSR. Truthfully, if I sewed as slow as the BSR, I wouldn't need the BSR! LOL! I found for me, if I went as slow as the stitch regulator, the Bernina kept the stitches pretty uniform anyway.

BTW, something you may like about the Bernina also is that you can do appliqués on it too. I have not done them much because I really like using the embroidery as accents on clothing rather than as individual items, but it is really nice.

Okay, and for the MAJOR point that I truly, truly love about the Bernina - the Needle Threader!! I am old, and blind as a bat, so for me, that is a godsend.

HTH (and sorry I was so late, that "work" thing, you know),
Kathleen

P.S. Personally, if I had to choose, I would get the embroidery module. I think you will find it a lot more useful in the long run.
Thanks. This is very helpful.

As it turns out, the 7 series machines are all back-ordered for 4-6 weeks per the Bernina website. They just made that change on the website as I already knew from some of the stores that the 770 was back-ordered, but now this says it is a generic problem.

So it seems I am still in limbo, and my New Home is still at the shop as they were having trouble with it. This is now the 4th week that I am without a machine, and I am not very happy about it, but there's not a lot that I can do about it, including, apparently, buying that new machine I seem to be lusting after :-)
My husband wanted me to get the embroidery. Not sure how much I'll use it, but he sees options. I am definitely hoping to use in quilting, too. I'm determined to figure out how. Just tried hooping a portion of a quilt I'm working on and was able to get it on 😀. The hoop opens quite a bit.

My table is a floor model I bought at the quilt shop for a BIG discount. Hubby was going to make me one till he saw the deal on this. It's not perfect for my machine, but the opening is big enough, and it's got lots of room, especially when opened up. I'm short and the table is not, so hubby made me a step/riser that sits under the machine side of the table, making the height perfect.
I went back up to the store today, and played with the Pfaff Performance 5.2, which looked very nice on their website, and the Bernina 740. The Pfaff is about half the cost of the Bernina, but I definitely liked the Bernina better. They had a used 790 on the floor that someone had traded in, but that is way beyond what I want to spend, and I don't need or want all the extra embroidery that it has.

I did play with the BSR. The first one was having problems, so they actually had to change it out to a different one. As someone mentioned, I found that sewing more slowly worked better with it, but I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. My stitches definitely differed in length, and when I compared what I had done with what I just did as straight free motion quilting, my stitches were much better without the BSR, so apparently I just need a lot of practice.

But that got me to wondering if the 740 would be sufficient for my needs. The differences are fairly small once I ignore the BSR. The 740 has slightly fewer stitches (I so wish I could find a list of the stitches in both the 740 and the 770 to see exactly what is different), and one less alphabet. It can take the BSR as an option, but has no capability to add the optional embroidery. And it does not have the 1/4" Patchwork foot nor does it come with the additional optional needle plate, but both of those can be added.

They seem to think they will be getting more of the 770 and 740 in, but are not so sure about the 765.

So now, I am thinking that the 740 may be sufficient for what I do, if I ignore the embroidery which I have been doing for the past 26 years anyhow. That would be about a $1200 savings, and I can certainly buy the various feet I want, some of which I'd need on either machine anyhow.

I think if they got the 765, I could talk myself into that for the $700 premium over the 740, and then I'd get all the extra stitches, but really, are those something I would ever miss? I think not.

I just have to finally decide what I want, and I am still a bit torn.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get myself to make this decision? Apparently, I still have some time until the machines start arriving back in the stores.
Anyone got any ideas on how to get myself to make this decision? Apparently, I still have some time until the machines start arriving back in the stores.

I really cannot help you other than what I have posted. Personally, I'm glad I got the embroidery even if I do not use it much.

Kathleen
My table is a floor model I bought at the quilt shop for a BIG discount. Hubby was going to make me one till he saw the deal on this. It's not perfect for my machine, but the opening is big enough,

How big is the opening? How much space does the machine need with the embroidery module attached? My opening is just big enough for the machine, and there is room for DH to modify it, but I am thinking that perhaps I can just take the machine out and put it on the sewing table when I want to embroider. Do you think that would work? I'm thinking that would also have plenty of room for the excess quilt fabric, and since I don't expect I would embroider very much, I think I'd prefer a more temporary solution for the machine with the embroidery module attached.

What comes with the embroidery module? I see on the website they have several hoops, and I'm thinking there must be a basic one included, but perhaps the jumbo hoop is something to be purchased as an option.

Given my experience with the BSR, I am leaning towards the 765 with the embroidery option, but if there are none of those available when they start to ship, I would get the 740. It is not worth it to me to pay the premium for the 770 and then still have to pay another $2k for the embroidery option that I may or may not use.
Have you given much thought to the 9 mm stitch width vs. the 5.5 mm? I have the 5.5 mm, once or twice I've wished I had the 9 mm when I'm using a decorative stitch, but honestly, I don't use the decorative stitches.

I find I really like the 5.5 mm for piecing quilts, I've heard complaints that on the 9 mm both feed dogs don't touch the fabric when sewing a scant 1/4 inch seam.

Cosmos
Have you given much thought to the 9 mm stitch width vs. the 5.5 mm?

Yes, and I would prefer to have the 9mm available, so the machines I am looking at include that. There doesn't actually seem to be a big price difference, though, in the 9mm vs 5.5 mm.
9mm vs 5.5mm stitch width....This is one reason I kept my 640 and bought a 740. Even though it means different feet, I wanted the versatility. My 640 lives With me in the south, and my 740 lives in the upper Midwest. The 740 is too big to lug to retreats and workshops, so my 640 is my "travel" machine.

I don't do embroidery, so the existing stitches that come standard on the 740 were sufficient for me. Really, it comes down to needs vs wants and the amount you are comfortable spending.

Isewquilts2
The opening in my table is larger than I need for the 765, but the embroidery unit is big. You'll want to raise the machine to table height when using it anyway. The table has the lift to do that easily.
The embroidery module comes with three different sized hoops, a pack of needles, and samples of stabilizers and threads.
I was told I bought the machine at just the right time, and got one of the first two 765s in the country. I did wait about a month more for the embroidery module.
Forgot to mention, the module also comes with the embroidery foot.
Let's resurrect this thread as I never did buy a new machine, and decided to wait for the end-of-year sales, which are now here.

Bernina has done an update to their 5 series, and I am liking the new 570QE. That now has a few more features than the 770QE, as they have not revamped that line, and this leaves me with a quandary. The new 570 has the 9mm stitches, and also has some new features that would be very nice such as automatic presser foot lift. And the embroidery module is new, so it supports a variety of embroidery formats. These are not (yet?) on the 770. The 570 has 8.5 inches to the right of the needle where I have 7 inches now. But this machine is also a lot closer in size to my current machine, and so would fit in my existing opening without modification.

So the big difference with the 770 seems to be that it has 10 inches to the right of the needle, which is 1.5 inches more than the 570, but this one would need me to modify my current table opening by adding at least another 3" and possibly up to 5" (I have a question in to Bernina asking about the minimum required opening).

The 770 also can use a larger embroidery hoop. Max embroidery size on the 570 is 400mm x 150mm, where max embroidery area size on the 770 is 400mm x 210mm. I am not sure, however, if that makes that much of a difference to me.

So it seems to be coming down to that extra 1.5" to the right of the needle. The woman at the store said she'd opt for the extra space as that is something that can't be changed, and it is always possible (not sure how probable) that the current 770 could be updated with a software change down the road.

But given what I have written above, I am leaning more towards the newer features of the 570. I will get 1.5" of extra throat space with that, although I do realize that the extra 3" would be very nice, but the thought of having to radically change the opening on my table, and how that impacts everything else is not very appealing.

And there is always one more option - as it seems Bernina now has a product positioning problem, I would expect that they would be adding these new features to their 7 series at some point. Do I just wait yet another year in the hopes that they do that, and that they run the standard sale with the embroidery module included next year? I could just limp along on my current machine, but I admit that I am lusting after that new machine.

Thoughts from the folks here? Any guidance in what I should consider in trying to make this decision?
What kind of sewing do you do most often?
The size and type of sewing projects may determine which machine best suits your needs. That 1.5" extra space from the needle to the right side of the machine isn't significant, but if you do a lot of large quilts or other large bulky pieces, that 1.5" is something you may appreciate. The difference between 1.5" and 3" is more significant than you may think.

Does the 570 have the larger bobbin? I can't tell you how much I love that larger bobbin.

Sewing table....yeah that's a tough call. My table does not have an insert, my machine just sits on top of the table so I don't have that issue to deal with. I bought a Sew Steady clear plastic platform that extends the surround of the free arm so that I can machine quilt easily. Lots of different sizes, and they are custom made to fit your specific machine.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/cfFurniture/Furniture_Displ...

If you wait until next year, you may find that the prices have gone up.

Tough decision...too much money at stake to end up with something you are not completely happy with. Does your dealer have a return policy if you decide you didn't make the right choice?

Isewquilts2
What kind of sewing do you do most often?
The size and type of sewing projects may determine which machine best suits your needs. That 1.5" extra space from the needle to the right side of the machine isn't significant, but if you do a lot of large quilts or other large bulky pieces, that 1.5" is something you may appreciate. The difference between 1.5" and 3" is more significant than you may think.

I used to do lots of clothing, but these days, I have been doing a lot of quilting. Typically, I'm doing baby quilts. I may need to drag a quilt with me to the store to see how it would work.

Does the 570 have the larger bobbin? I can't tell you how much I love that larger bobbin.
Yes, it does. Essentially, they seem to have updated the 570 to be really close to the 770 with the 9mm stitch, the Dual Feed, and the larger bobbin. What they neglected was to do anything to refresh the 7 series, and they now have a product positioning problem which they will need to solve.

There is a very small price difference between the 570QEE and the 770QE (which would include the embroidery module at the holiday sale), so it's something like a $300 difference which is nothing at the price of these machines.

So my trade-off seems to be new features vs. 1.5" of extra space. And having to modify my sewing area to fit a larger machine.

The problem, though, is I am not sure which machine I would get if either would fit, so this is a tough decision for me, but I really didn't want to have to wait another year for them to refresh the 7 series.

I did send Bernina a question to ask the minimum size cabinet opening needed (why aren't machine dimensions listed anywhere?), but have yet to hear back from them.

Does your dealer have a return policy if you decide you didn't make the right choice?

I did not think to ask about that, but I will do that. That might help me decide.
Advertisement