Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a capital loss carryforward from last year for the trust I am handling. I did not have any income to report this year because all of the funds in the trust are contained in an IRA tax shelter and no withdrawals were made.

I was not able to use the carry forward this year because no tax was available for an offset. The rules say that you are not able to report a credit on a form K-1, and hence you are not able to carry the credit over to my form 1040.

Am I correct to say that I could make a withdrawal from the IRa equal to or more than the credit and take the reduction on my next years return?

Come on you smart tax fools. Help!!!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.