Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband sells insurance for commissions only. He received commissions from 4 companies, but received only 2 1099-Misc forms.

Are there exclusions on commissions that don't have to be reported? For example, if a company pays less than a certain amount of commission (i.e., < $500) then they don't have to send a 1099-Misc to the payee? I seem to remember reading somewhere that banks don't have to send a 1099-Int form if the amount of interest is < $10. Does the same idea apply to misc income?

The dollar amount is small - $161 from one company, $281 from the other. TurboTax has a screen for entering general business income {income not reported on a 1099 form). Morally, I know I should declare this income, but on the other hand, I want to keep our tax liability as small as possible.

Adding another entry to my moral/ethical/existential dilemmas list.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.