Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I made a nondeductible IRA contribution last year (in 1998 for 1997) for the first time and should have filed this Form 8606 with my 1997 return. This year (1998) I'm required to file the form again because I converted my regular IRAs to a Roth IRA.

To get right with the IRS on the 1997 Form 8606, should I forget about filing it and just fill out the 1998 form as if I have a 1997 one on file? Should I file the 1997 form with a 1040X for 1997, or just send it in by itself? Or can I just attach it to my 1998 return? (I'm guessing NOT on this last one)

I hope this is a no-brainer.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.