Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: hlcamp Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Form 8606 I and II Date: 2/4/1999 1:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I went back and read a few responses to my original questions and some others on filling out the 8606. And now, I would just like to make a last verification of this and maybe avoid buying a tax software package.

The way I chose to complete Form 8606 mirrored the Rosa Green example in Pub 590, page 28-29. Starting in Part II, I enter the full conversion amount to Roth from traditional IRA of 9805 in line 14a. 14c was same. In the example, line 15 is left blank (I guess it assumes all 98 contributions non-deduct?) and 16 comes to 7979 (difference between this number and 9805 is contributions made to traditional IRA in 98). 17 is one quarter.

Now, I can find Modified AGI. Swell. Again, I use a worksheet in 590. This time it is the Worksheet for Reduced IRA Deduction, page 11. I work through this and find line 7(IRA deduction) is 1250 and line 8(non-deduct contributions) is 576. But I think this only offers misleading numbers...

And now the moment of truth.? The way I currently have 8606 line 15 set up, I am assuming all contributions for 98 are Non-Deductible right? Thus, line 1 would equal the total contributions in 98 of 1826, not the amount suggested in the prior paragraph. 3 and 5 would be the same. 10 would also be 1826 and 13 would be 0(see Rosa Green example).

Then in this case, I would have NO IRA deduction entry on 1040A line 15.? 10a would be 9805 and 10b 1995.?

Now, one last question. I seem to recall someone said I could do this two ways. Either assume all is non-deductible as above or deduct all or some (some in my case). Is that allowed? If so, I don't know how to calculate the amount to enter on line 15 (total non-deduct contributions in 98 + 0 for prior years) without first completing Part II to find modified AGI... I cannot see how this scenario is possible.

I hope this method above makes sense. It does to me at least. I declare all contributions(1826) on 98 non-deduct and then remove that amount from the total rollover amount(9805) to come up with the amount subject to tax/4(7979/4).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement