Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I originally posted this in the Discount Brokers section but was told this would be a better place to post it.

When registering for a new account at Interactive Brokers ( I am given a W-8BEN form (Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding) to fill out.

I am not a technical person (ie. stupid) and am having trouble understanding...
a) Whether I have to fill this form out or not. (FYI: I am your average Canadian investor who plans on trading US stocks)
b) Which checkboxes to check off in Part II #9
c) Whether I have to fill anything in for Part II #10

The form is located at:

Is there any other Canadians who have created an account at Interactive Brokers who could help me with this?

Please help me!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.