Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Former Coworker/Retiree Now Wal-Mart Employee Date: 7/29/2008 12:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I was off on a bicycle trip yesterday. I was in the nice town of Oak Harbor, Wa. on Whidbey Island and while waiting for a bus, stopped in the local Wal-Mart. I was picked out of the crowd by a former co-worker of mine when we used to work as repairmen for a utility company. He was working as a sales clerk in the camera department.

We had left the utility in 1999, and he'd moved to this town to retire. He and his wife had apparently just recently turned 65, since he mentioned they were now getting Medicare and getting not spending near as much on health insurance costs.

I have no real idea why he might be working, but it was a heck of a nice day and I was glad I wasn't.

Anyway, apparently jobs as Wal-Mart greeters aren't the only ones available for those of retirement age.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13740 of 19483
Subject: Re: Former Coworker/Retiree Now Wal-Mart Employe Date: 7/29/2008 1:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Some people work part time just to have something to do.

Others find out too late about rising costs of things like health insurance.

Some like volunteer work as a way to keep busy in retirement. Others think you might as well collect a paycheck for your time.

To each his own.

Its nice to have the choices. And be healthy enough to enjoy them.

Author: drippinfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13741 of 19483
Subject: Re: Former Coworker/Retiree Now Wal-Mart Employe Date: 7/30/2008 9:43 AM
Recommendations: 3
I've been retired now for almost three years and loving it. I am eagerly awaiting the startup of filming locally for a TV series on which I have worked as an extra. The pay isn't great ($7 and hour) but they feed us and give us the chance to be on TV.

Like other jobs, you can make of it what you will. Many folks come out and read a book or get free babysitting for their kids. Or you can put more into it and have a better chance at getting more out of it. Last season my mug ended up in a closeup scene that made it onto the screen.

Kind of like hitting a good golf shot, it was enough to keep me coming back for more.

-drip

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13742 of 19483
Subject: Re: Former Coworker/Retiree Now Wal-Mart Employe Date: 7/30/2008 10:24 AM
Recommendations: 0
I am eagerly awaiting the startup of filming locally for a TV series on which I have worked as an extra. The pay isn't great ($7 and hour) but they feed us and give us the chance to be on TV.

I call it jury duty with a better class of people (and better food). Hours of sitting around doing nothing, then frenzy for a couple of hours doing the same thing over and over. But I had a blast.

I made my silver screen debut in Syriana in the CIA Headquarters Canteen scene. (I was White Blur at Table when George was getting coffee from the machine.) Don't know what happened to my credit or why George forgot to mention me in his acceptance speech, but the director told me I gave great nudge.

The terrific part was that they paid all the extras SAG scale, including overtime, a clothing fee for having a second suit available, and a fee for positioning the Geezermobile in the parking lot for the traffic jam scene. And the second day was their last day of Baltimore shooting, so lunch was steak and lobster.

Phil

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13743 of 19483
Subject: Re: Former Coworker/Retiree Now Wal-Mart Employe Date: 7/30/2008 11:04 AM
<<The terrific part was that they paid all the extras SAG scale, including overtime, a clothing fee for having a second suit available, and a fee for positioning the Geezermobile in the parking lot for the traffic jam scene. And the second day was their last day of Baltimore shooting, so lunch was steak and lobster.

Phil
>>

You poor working class wretch. Power to the People! Death to Capitalist Dogs! Et Cetera!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13744 of 19483
Subject: Re: Former Coworker/Retiree Now Wal-Mart Employe Date: 7/30/2008 1:19 PM
You poor working class wretch. Power to the People! Death to Capitalist Dogs! Et Cetera!

Seattle Pioneer

Phil can thank the unions for the company's largess.

cliff

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13745 of 19483
Subject: Re: Former Coworker/Retiree Now Wal-Mart Employe Date: 7/30/2008 1:27 PM
Phil can thank the unions for the company's largess.

Not really since the production isn't required to pay scale to nonunion extras. This one just did. Some of my fellow stars told me about spending half the night at a West Wing inauguration ball for a pittance.

Phil

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13768 of 19483
Subject: Re: Former Coworker/Retiree Now Wal-Mart Employe Date: 8/2/2008 9:22 AM
I am eagerly awaiting the startup of filming locally for a TV series on which I have worked as an extra. The pay isn't great ($7 and hour) but they feed us and give us the chance to be on TV.
Have you seen the Ricky Gervaise series "Extras"? It's available on dvd, and is really really funny. You might relate.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement