No. of Recommendations: 0
Okay, here's my life story, in order to get some ideas!

I am a thrirty-six-old doctor, with a stay at home wife (preganant) and a two-old daughter. I purchased a condo in 1992 for $160K, 10% down, and could probably sell it for $175K today. We were extremely fortunate to have purchased a home in a prestigious area in a Los Angeles suburb, in 1997, for 350K (20% down). It was a probate home, and we put in about 40K to fix it up. Well, lo and behold, comprable houses are now going for between $510 to 540K.

Here are some of the issues. For one, though the house is relatively big, 2000 square feet, on a 10,000 square lot, it only has two fuctional bedrooms. So, we'd like a four bedroom house in this town, but those tend to go for between 700K and 800K. Now, I can scrape together a monthly morgage of this size (and the yearly property tax alone would have paid for ywo year's rent in medical school); but, it is still a lot of money per month, and I'm sure it will add to my stress level.

Here are some of our options. We can....just do it. We can stay where we are for a year, two or three, save up more money, and acquire more equity. Or we could remodel our existing house. This would probably include adding a new master-bedroom/bathroom suite, another bedroom, and maybe remodel the kitchen. Or we could sell everything, and retire in luxory mansion in a third world country (Philippines)...joking, but nice fantasy.

Other things I need to consider. Remodelling a house with babies around must be a hellish experince (or we'd have to rent a place for a while). The closing costs ivolved with selling would not be small. If we hang around, and our house and condo appreciate, then the potential houses to buy will most-likely appreciate by comprable percentages (a 20% appreciation would put us in the million dollar house range!)

Any thoughts?

Dylan
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement