Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: Re: A scary fact Date: 10/27/2012 12:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Fortunately, none of my family found themselves destitute. My father's family worked in the mills in NC, and, thanks to the unions (remember Norma Rae?) they had a good pension when they retired. Of course, they were accustomed to living off the land by way of gardening and hunting.

My mother's family was the exact opposite. My grandfather made a good living, even during the Depression, and most of the kids had a good education. None of the kids dropped out of HS and my mother graduated from college in 1928. My grandfather and grandmother also lived off the land, as they had a lot of land and gardened. My uncles hunted and shared their bounty with my grandparents.

When my father retired, he chose to accept less money per month so my mother would also have a good pension, should he die before she did. We all thought that Daddy would outlive mother, but that did not happen. Fortunately, they, too, were frugal, and had a garden as long as I can remember. In addition, Daddy was also a hunter and a fisherman.

My mother wanted for nothing after Daddy died. Fortunately, she had enough money that, after I moved her from FL to SC to be with me, there was enough that I could have a caregiver for her as I worked and went out of town for work.

I remember the recession of the 50's very clearly. Even the Federal Employees had to accept a 10% wage cut. Daddy was given the opportunity to move into a new position that was only available in Baltimore or Columbia. Although we all wanted to stay in the Chesapeake Bay area, the location of the VA Hospital in Baltimore was not optimal, whereas the location of the VA Hospital in Columbia was in a much more desirable area.

Not everyone has the opportunities that my family did. They were not wealthy and were not cheapskates, but they were frugal. (Thank goodness they taught me that lesson.) Many families did not have a pension (think construction workers) and all the widow had was a little money in the bank, if that, and the spouse's SS benefits.

I don't think SP is old enough to understand half of this.

Donna
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement