UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: roguecfa One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 253077  
Subject: Four Factor Model Weekly Update Date: 2/10/2013 2:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Explanations of this model and performance figures for 2013 are available at www.wallstreetmodel.com.

The market eked out a small gain last week as the discounting process continued. It seems to me that just about every possible positive for the economy in 2013 has been discounted. Most investor groups are extremely positive but it is always possible for them to get even more bullish. I am not afraid of the market running away, though. When the correction comes it should bring us back to levels seen a couple of weeks ago. At least.

Earnings:
Earnings results were a bit better last week but the gap between current earnings and future estimates continues to grow and this indicator is negative, calling for zero exposure.
Twelve month forward earnings are still trending higher, but just barely. Any estimate reduction will turn this indicator neutral or negative but it is still positive at this point with 100% exposure.
2013 estimates are my third indicator and they too continue just barely positive now and could go neutral next week. At this time, though, they are still trending higher and call for 100% exposure.
Total exposure from the earnings factor is 67%, same as last week.

Sentiment:
Rydex leveraged fund investors got still more bullish last week and now this indicator has reached an extreme position again.
Exposure from this indicator is now at -10%, down from 5% last week.
Small option buyers remain confused and are neutral. In general, the put/call indicators are the only ones not looking very bearish.
Exposure remains at 50%, same as last week.
NAAIM managers continued to be very optimistic and my indicator has collapsed into record negative territory.
Exposure remains at -10% this week, the maximum bearish level.
When two of my sentiment indicators are maximum bearish and the other one is either bearish or neutral, I assign a sentiment factor exposure of -10%, down from 0% last week.

Valuation:
Percentage of stock prices represented by net current assets remained the same last week so
exposure continues at 20%, same as last week.
Comparison of stock earnings yield to ten year treasury yield remained the same last week.
Exposure remains at 20%, same as last week.
Total valuation exposure is still 20%, same as last week.

To combine these three factors, I multiply them together and then take the cube root. However, since my sentiment factor exposure is -10%, I assign a -10% overall exposure to the model this week, down from 0% last week.

Technicals:
My comparison of yields on treasury bonds compared to lower quality corporates remained positive last week.
I add 10% to account for this factor.
New highs - new lows on the Nasdaq are still positive.
I add 20% to account for this factor.
Total technical adjustments this week are +30%, same as last week.

After adjustments, total exposure for the week is 20% or, after rounding, 25%
compared to 25% last
week.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement