Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886  
Subject: Frame rates Date: 7/12/2012 2:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am assembling a multi-camera DVD of one show of the recent Van Halen tour. They allowed open filming, and so there were cameras everywhere. I've managed to convince two people to send me their original files, and a couple of others are (hopefully) on the way. However, if I don't receive them, I can still download their 1080 files from Youtube. I *think* it lowers the resolution of the audio, but video is still 1080.

The question I have is, how do I figure out what the frame rates are? Youtube is at 30 f/s, and I'm not even sure what the frame rates are of the two videos I've received. I do have Vegas Video 10.0 Platinum. Is there any easy way to determine the frame rate of a random m2ts video file?

Assuming I end up with different ones, such as 60, 30, and 24, what's the best way to render so that I don't end up with a jerky finished product?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 831 of 886
Subject: Re: Frame rates Date: 7/12/2012 11:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I am afraid you have gone beyond my ability to help.

Fuskie
Who does not think you can legally integrate video from YouTube into a video project without the permission of the author...

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 832 of 886
Subject: Re: Frame rates Date: 7/12/2012 12:36 PM
Who does not think you can legally integrate video from YouTube into a video project without the permission of the author...

It's odd that Youtube would allow anyone to download any video from their site, then.

My project is not to be sold for profit, btw.

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 833 of 886
Subject: Re: Frame rates Date: 7/12/2012 3:13 PM
You can use Real Player to download flash video from YouTube.

Fuskie
Who doesn't think it matters if the video is to be sold for profit, as long as it is to be viewed publicly...

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 834 of 886
Subject: Re: Frame rates Date: 7/12/2012 3:27 PM
From Youtube's Terms of Service:

You agree not to distribute in any medium any part of the Service or the Content without YouTube's prior written authorization, unless YouTube makes available the means for such distribution through functionality offered by the Service (such as the Embeddable Player).

http://www.youtube.com/static?gl=US&template=terms

Richard

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 835 of 886
Subject: Re: Frame rates Date: 7/12/2012 3:50 PM
You can use Real Player to download flash video from YouTube.

How does this help?

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 836 of 886
Subject: Re: Frame rates Date: 7/12/2012 4:00 PM
unless YouTube makes available the means for such distribution through functionality offered by the Service

If the content is mine, or owned by the person who gave me permission to use it, I/we can do with it what I/we want, whether it's also up at Youtube or not. At any rate, there are a bazillion such fan-made DVDs out there, including the Led Zeppelin reunion show of 2007 sourced from Youtube. The Van Halen show in Vegas on 5/27/12 was compiled from video sources that are also viewable at Youtube. I'm not worried that the Youtube cops will somehow come knocking on my door. I'm concerned with how to best render a DVD consisting of files with multiple frame rates. Is that topic within anyone's area of expertise?

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 837 of 886
Subject: Re: Frame rates Date: 7/13/2012 9:13 AM
If the content is mine, or owned by the person who gave me permission to use it, I/we can do with it what I/we want, whether it's also up at Youtube or not.

Quite correct.

I'm concerned with how to best render a DVD consisting of files with multiple frame rates. Is that topic within anyone's area of expertise?

Way outside my expertise, but I'm thinking the source frame rates will be irrelevant, and the rendering engine will combine them all from the time line with the frame rate you choose.

Richard

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 838 of 886
Subject: Re: Frame rates Date: 7/13/2012 6:26 PM

I'm concerned with how to best render a DVD consisting of files with multiple frame rates. Is that topic within anyone's area of expertise?
---------
Way outside my expertise, but I'm thinking the source frame rates will be irrelevant, and the rendering engine will combine them all from the time line with the frame rate you choose.

That much is true, but depending on the frame rates of the source files, there are better and worse ways to do it, especially if you throw 24 f/s into the mix.

I've done a bit of reading, and my limited understanding is that if you have video file 'A' with 60f/s and file 'B' with 30 f/s, you can render at 60 and maintain the 60 f/s resolution on A and the rendering process will simply double-up the frames for file B, and so you might see a difference when the 'B' clips come up, especially if you're using slow motion.

Or if you render at 30 f/s, then it will down-res file 'A' by skipping every other frame and everything will match.

The complicated part seems to be when you're messing around with 24 f/s and you have to use a "2-3 pulldown", which is explained in the links below:

http://www.zerocut.com/tech/pulldown.html

and

http://blog.abelcine.com/2011/08/19/simple-workflow-for-remo...

and

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403746,00.asp

It looks like I'm going to be able to obtain source files from 4 of the 5 people I've contacted. I think everything I'm going to be dealing with was shot at 60 f/s, and so if I render at 30 for NTSC, it shouldn't be a problem.

Whether they were all shot at 60p or 60i is another matter. But enough headaches for one day.

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 839 of 886
Subject: Re: Frame rates Date: 7/13/2012 9:41 PM
How does this help

Some video editors let you edit flash video files.

Fuskie
Who has done it with Studio...

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 840 of 886
Subject: Re: Frame rates Date: 7/13/2012 10:08 PM
Not quite correct. When a video is uploaded, that user agrees to YouTube's license, which gives them the right to control distribution of that instance. That doesn't preclude the author from distributing their original content as they see fit.

Fuskie
Who thinks there may be an out if the terms do specify distribution, as if OP plans to only use the resulting video for his personal use, that would not be a distribution, but if he gave someone a copy, even for free, then he would again be in violation of YouTube distribution prohibition, assuming that he cares...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement