No. of Recommendations: 0
Franke asks:

<<I have two annuities. One says "Flexible Annuity, IRA" and the other says "Flexible Annuity, TSA" on the report the company sends me. Can I roll both of them over into a self directed account at Scottrade or Discover (the two that I have narrowed it to)?
Is there any difficulty in one being IRA and the other TSA?
I asked my "advisor" if they could be transferred to a mmarket account with him and he said he could do that. Would it be better to have him do that first and then transfer to another company?>>

You may definitely surrender the annuity in the IRA and transfer the net funds from the surrender to another IRA. As PeppermintPatty mentioned, though, you must check the fees that will be imposed by the insurance company for doing so. Many annuities impose onerous surrender fees that can last for a number of years from the date of purchase. Those fees may be so great that's it's better to keep the annuity until the surrender period runs out. You need to verify what would happen in your case.

As far as the TSA is concerned, that is more problematic. You almost certainly obtained that as part of an employer-provided retirement plan, probably a 403b plan. Depending on the terms of that annuity and whether you are still working for that employer, you might be able to surrender that annuity and transfer the net proceeds to an IRA as well. If you're still working for the employer who sponsored that plan, then almost certainly you cannot do so. You need to check the specifics of the plan to see what you may do with the TSA.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement