No. of Recommendations: 0
Frankly, it is probably going to be swapped out and used as a redundant backup for something like a Dell XPS 8500 and a Seagate Black Armor set up as an iSCSI device. The key part I'm mentally wrestling with is configuring something like VMware but trying to keep the high res graphics.

I currently run a setup that's not too entirely different from your own: Dual 24" monitors driven by a core i7 desktop with 8GB of memory and a RAID 0 disk array for speed. I use VMware pretty extensively; and one thing that I'll note is that you can configure the VM to inherit the resolution of the host system.

I like this setup a lot, because I run my core applications inside of a VM; and when I need to go on the road, I can copy the VM directory over to my laptop and take everything (apps, files, settings, etc.) with me.

Like you, I'm considering an XPS 8500, but I'll probably skip the NAS device. I've got one now; and it's pretty slow when you compare it to a native drive or SSD. Instead, I'll probably install a large Samsung 840 SSD in the 8500 and use a USB 3 drive for backups.

I don't know if you plan to take your VMs on the road; but if you do, you'll want a beefy laptop to run them on...I would suggest a quad core i7 and 8gb of ram...actually, the Sony Z might be a nice setup for this, although it's really spendy...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement