UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: AntiTrader Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Fraud? Date: 11/17/1999 11:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I had an interesting experience this weekend, and I would like some of your opinions.

I went to dinner with some friends at a local carribean eatery called SweetWater's Jam House. The server very spicy Jamacian food (recommend it if you are ever in Portland). Well, it wasn't cheap and I don't like putting money on my AMEX if I can help it. The bill came for my girlfriend and I and it was $47.57. It had a line item for a "automatic gratuity" (we were in a part of 11 people), which I completely dissagree with anyway, of $7.13. I had eight dollars in cash in my pocket and decided I would just throw that in as tip and keep the extra eight bucks off the card. so, I scratched out the 7.13 and filled in the total like with the $47.57 and signed the receipt. Well, I checked my AMEX bill online yesterday and they had changed the amount to the full $54.70 without my authorizing it by signature. So, I in effect payed a 30% tip for what I would call poor service (althought I will admit it is difficult to serve 11 people; I know, I was a server myself during college).

My question is, is this out-an-out Credit Card Fraud? They are making grumblings like they aren't going to replace those funds on my card. Only time will tell. I just want to be able to tell them that what they did was illegal if it is, so that I can get the money back. By the way, it is more the principle than it is the money. $7.13 won't break my budget.

Thanks,
Brian
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement