UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308688  
Subject: Fraud Date: 8/28/2003 5:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi

Does anyone here know how to report a case of fraud using a credit card? Someone used my card. I called the credit card company to have the account closed and have the transaction reversed. I called the company to which the card was used and they gave me the name of the person using my card. How do I report them?

Thanks,
RBM
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FuskieFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 168767 of 308688
Subject: Re: Fraud Date: 8/28/2003 6:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Call the police.

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 168770 of 308688
Subject: Re: Fraud Date: 8/28/2003 8:06 PM
Recommendations: 4
Hi RBM,

I agree with the advice of reporting this to the police. This is a clear case of fraud, and by having the name of the perpetrator, you've made this easier for the fraud division (which I'd guess would be the division you'd be connected with).

Also, make sure you give all of the information you have to your credit card company, who also has a fraud division.

Good luck!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 168784 of 308688
Subject: Re: Fraud Date: 8/28/2003 10:10 PM
Recommendations: 1
I agree with the other posters. You should report it to the police to have a police report on record. Unfortunately, I really don't think there is much else you can do against the person who stole your credit card because it's really up to the credit card company to press the charges because they are the ones that are taking the loss. More than likely nothing will happen to that person. Just doesn't seem fair....does it.

Here's a link to what you should do if you have I. D. Thieft.

http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

Utahtea

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 168785 of 308688
Subject: Re: Fraud Date: 8/28/2003 11:05 PM
Recommendations: 1
RBMunkin,

You wrote, Does anyone here know how to report a case of fraud using a credit card? Someone used my card. I called the credit card company to have the account closed and have the transaction reversed. I called the company to which the card was used and they gave me the name of the person using my card. How do I report them?

Not to answer your question again; but...

The thief must be a real idiot. Else the merchant is the idiot.

How would the merchant and/or the credit card company know the person's real name? If the name they have is different from the name on the card, why would the merchant accept the card as payment? If the thief used your account for something that was in his name, he's just plain stupid. If he used a fake name that didn't match your's the merchant was foolish to give him the merchandise.

BTW: Good luck getting any police department to do anything about it. It's likely they don't have their best and brightest working small-time credit card fraud cases.

I assume you know your rights with the credit card company. You're generally not responsible for fraudlent charges. By law the credit card company can hold you liable for up to $50 in a fraud case; but if you're still in possession of the card and you didn't mishandle it, the wording of the law could be interpretted to shield you from any liablity at all. Just make sure you follow up any dispute with the credit card company in writing immediately. Most credit card companies will write it off or charge it back to the merchant if it's obvious you weren't the one that signed for the merchandise.

- Joel

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 168837 of 308688
Subject: Re: Fraud Date: 8/30/2003 1:02 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for all the replies.
I can't quite see reporting it to my local police. I live in the boondocks. What the heck would the Cobb police do? Ooops, nope. Cobb doesn't have a police dept. I could go to Middletown, population 1000. Andy of Mayberry is probably there!

The credit card company is going to send me a form to fill out. I'll give them her name on that.
They are doing a charge back to the merchant. The merchant knows about it and will accept the charge back.
I think I'll call them back though and ask why they accepted a card with a different name than the one they were using. That's done a lot more than you would think. It's quite prevalent.

RBM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement