Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Frazdog (appropriate),

You said, "What is important is that the employee is helpful and courteous to customers. And how management approaches this is important. But, the actual happiness of the employee is not the employers concern."

I can't remember the last time I read so much crap. I only hope that if you are in management someone realizes the mistake and corrects it.
As a manager you manage people, not machines. People with feelings, concerns, aspirations, needs, wants, hopes and all the other things which you obviously feel are unimportant. It is a manager's responsibility to TRY and keep those who work for them happy or at least content. It is called tact, raport, understanding, careing and respect. It is believing that the most important asset of the company is the employee. I believe that Lowe's, as a company, understands this. It is unfortunate, however, that many within the management ranks have not figured this out.
It's amazing how just a simple "Thank you" can make an employee feel appreciated, even when all they've done is what's expected of them.. Or how mentoring rather then admonishing can mold a better and happier employee. And it's amazing how much more productive an employee is when they are happy.
If a manager is not making the attempt to make and keep their employees happy then they are not using all the tools at their disposal to do their job to the best of their ability.
I would much rather shop in a store where the employees are happy because I know that my shopping experience will be a good one because I will have been greeted with a genuine smile and treated with genuine respect.

A Manager
Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.