Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: UhuraY2K Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3722  
Subject: Freakin' zealots! Date: 10/27/2003 11:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 20
Last week of October in Salem obviously means the streets are filled with people. It's fun -- as long as we get our empty streets back on November 1. Yesterday I took my kids downtown, through the throngs, got them well exhausted with all the fun climbing things set up on the Common, just enjoying playing tourist three blocks from home. All the perks, none of the parking hassles. Very sweet.

Of course, all types of people show up. Most are there for Halloween fun. This is the one place and one time of year all the goths and witches can dress comfortably and not be stared at. However, the Christian presence was overwhelming this year. There was a Christian rap group set up in the drained East India fountain. I'm talking stiff, no talent, as far as you can get from Eminem white boy rappers -- excruciating. Some other church was selling lobster rolls. I love lobster rolls, but I'd rather get one from my favorite fish market where every fifth word is NOT an expletive. Yet another church was having an "Angel Raffle." No, they were not raffling off real angels -- I'd buy a ticket if that was the case -- but those cutesy blah things guaranteed to piss a real angel off. According to the bible, Satan was originally the archangel Lucifer, but I thought it best not to remind them of that.

The icing on the cake, though was the wandering self appointed minister of a church located only in his own mind passing out YOU ARE GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL leaflets. He waved one in my direction, and when I shook my head and tried to move on (there were a LOT of people in my way), he tried to hand one to my Little Guy. Excuse me? Since when is it acceptable to press something on a seven-year-old when his mother, who is holding his hand, turns it down? That was the last straw. Since using profanity (which I do very well) would only prove his point, whatever that was, I used terms he was more familiar with.

"FALSE PROPHET! PHARASEE! HOW DARE YOU OFFEND THE LORD WITH YOUR BLASPHEMY!"

Wanna see a zealot look at you like you've got three heads?

Uhura
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement