Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5084  
Subject: Re: Discouragement Date: 9/10/2007 1:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 18
fredinseoul:
I am discouraged.

Cheer up man! When I get down and out, letting life beat me down, I find it is usually because I'm focussing on the negatives instead of the positives.

Even if you don't FIRE before 59 1/2, think about what you have accomplished. More than likely, you will be well set for retirement on the (13% + 12% = 25%) of your net income you save. 59 is still young with many years of life to enjoy.

SeattlePioneer is famous for stating, and I believe he is correct on this, that RE'ing is a luxury and is difficult to do. Many things have to be going for you. Usually 2 or more of the following things must happen to get it done:

- spouse on board with you
- no kids or at least a disciplined approach to children's expenses
- high income
- LBYM
- a displined approach to investing
- plain luck (hitting that 10 bagger)
- inhertance
- no large medical expenditures

You could add to the list but that is the gyst of it. I'm not saying all of those things have to be in sync. For example, plenty of people on RECF have RE'd on a middle class income. But they LBYM, had no children or several other of the options above.

I initially had a spouse not on board with me to FIRE. She wanted to be a SAHM with our 3 kids until I hit normal retirement. We cussed and discussed it for years. When I was 40, I had calculated that if she began making an average salary of 30k, of which 20k was invested annually, we could both FIRE 8 years later when I hit my 48 birthday.

It was like trying to get blood from a rock. I was very discouraged and felt somewhat bitter about her freeloading off of me.

However 5 years later, she had a complete change of mind and is now working full-time and rapidly upping her salary. I won't FIRE when I'm 48, but 52-53 is very doable.

Why does your wife want a bigger house? FYI, we did the big house once. It had 3000 squ feet on 5 acres. I finally got tired of mowing and she got tired of cleaning 3000 squ ft and pulling weeds in the expensive landscaping. We downsized and are much happier now.

Perhaps a compromise is in order.

Respectfully,

decath
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement