No. of Recommendations: 0
I asked for opinions and info on the 10-10 long distance numbers a couple of months ago and got some great feedback and facts that probably saved me quite a bit of money. Now I am asking about the free ISPs especially NetZero which has quite a few access numbers for our area. Has anyone had any experience with NetZero or any of the free ISPs offered? Even though there is no charge I am leary of the potential problems I could be diving into by accessing it. Any feedback and opinions welcomed---thanks.(Or has this issue been addressed before?)
Print the post Back To Top
My local library provides free access, though it is limited to two hour blocks of time. But it's Foolish to spend more than that on research anyway. And that's all we use the internet for, right? 8-)

If you want an email account, it costs, but with Yahoo and hotmail and juno, who needs to pay?

I use a commercial provider for the larger download capability and use the free one for backup if I can't get through on the library.

Aggie80
Gig'em, Aggies!
I've been using Netzero for over two months with no problems at all. In the Denver area, where I am, they have six access numbers. One of them connects me at 48K every time. It is so reliable, I dropped my pay ISP (Netcom).

I have posted on this subject before, and am very satisfied with the service. As for e-mail, it's free and works well also.

The banner advertisement at the top is no real problem. It can be moved around the screen. It is very similar to the banner ads seen here on this site or on Excite.

The demographic information that they request is no more personal than the information requested on a manufacturer's warranty card. And they don't sell their names.

I encourage all fools to try Netzero. If people use it, it will remain free.

Give it a try!

Tom
Using netzero right as i write love it now i can take the money and invest it
Hi

I downloaded the netzero software and have been unable
to get the program to work. I keep getting an error message that the a file is missing. Does anyone have
any insight as to how to fix this?

Thanx

I downloaded the netzero software and have been unable
to get the program to work. I keep getting an error message that the a file is missing. Does anyone have
any insight as to how to fix this?

Pookiefool-

I had a similar problem with Netzero. I tried for a week to get it properly installed on my own, then called a more technically inclined friend to help.

I would go back to the NZ download screen again. There are, I think, four different download options-pick a different one and download again. Be sure to remove the nonfunctioning version of NZ first, though. Then re-install.

Hope this helps-
Shannon
Has anyone had any experience with NetZero or any of the free ISPs offered?

I've been using NetZero for about a month and a half with no problems. Some FAQ's are speed and reliability.

I'm happy to report that I've had no problems thus far. I typically use the internet for information. I try not to buy to much on the net and don't offer alot of information which others (ie hackers) might be able to exploit (I've seen too many movies)

Anyway, for my purposes, it is the same as any other ISP I've used except for the constant flash of "commercials" it brings me. But, everything has its price.

To me, I can ignore some more commercials and at the end of the month, have $21 more to invest with....
Has anyone had any experience with NetZero or any of the free ISPs offered?

I finally got it installed properly this weekend. I've noticed that, once connected, it takes NZ a while (about a minute) to pull up Netscape. Also, the NZ page is the first thing that pops up, regardless of what your home page is.

I have to say that the ads are less of a problem that I thought they'd be. I usually just leave them up in the middle of my toolbar, and once there, I don't notice them again until I log off. I guess I'm just so used to seeing ads on the Internet, that it doesn't register anymore.
S
Advertisement