Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HurbP Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25313  
Subject: Free-standing 401K? Date: 4/28/1999 9:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I suppose this will be an overly basic question, but this is the background.

My wife's 401K/profit sharing plan, as invested, stinks. We have no alternatives to their distribution (very conservative and safe but, naturally, wasteful of the resource). Her employer makes no contribution to the 401K, it's all her own money.

Here's the question. Do we have to contribute to the 401k within the framework of the plan (using the trust company managing the employer's plan) or can we set up our own 401K account and run it ourselves?

I'm sure this is just Foolishly hopeful thinking and that it's all up to the discretion of the employer. But hope springs eternal in the heart of a Fool.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tonyw44 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1839 of 25313
Subject: Re: Free-standing 401K? Date: 4/28/1999 9:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
It's all up to the employer. You have no choice. You can lobby for the inclusion of stock funds and such, but it's their decision in the end.

Author: tmackfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1841 of 25313
Subject: Re: Free-standing 401K? Date: 4/28/1999 10:00 AM
If the investment options are that bad, and there is no employer match, maybe you should consider not contributing anymore. You have to decide if the current tax savings are worth the poor return you are getting through the 401K. Perhaps investing after-tax dollars into a portfolio of your own choosing would be the most Foolish thing to do. One idea is to start your own "401K" with after-tax dollars using DRiPs. Follow the link:
http://cbs.marketwatch.com/archive/19990422/news/current/superstar.htx?source=blq/yhoo&dist=yhoo

Hope this helps.

Taylor

Author: AnnieO One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1848 of 25313
Subject: Re: Free-standing 401K? Date: 4/28/1999 1:21 PM
You probably already know this, but she could put up to $2000 total in a regular and/or Roth IRA selecting from a wide range of great mutual funds.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement