Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PBJ23 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55993  
Subject: french toast bake Date: 10/5/2009 9:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a brunch to attend on Sunday and am considering making a french toast bake. I have to bake it at home and transport it 30 minutes. I've never made one and have no idea how they hold up. Is this a good or bad idea? The other option I'm considering is a breakfast casserole and I know that will do fine. If the french toast bake is a good idea, I am looking for recipes as well.

TIA!
PBJ
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50839 of 55993
Subject: Re: french toast bake Date: 10/10/2009 7:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm sorry you didn't get any replies. I don't come here much anymore. Alas, I have no idea what a French toast bake is so I can't help you. Although if the toast isn't too soggy tht probably wouldn't hurt.

RM

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50840 of 55993
Subject: Re: french toast bake Date: 10/11/2009 10:03 AM
I have to bake it at home and transport it 30 minutes. I've never made one and have no idea how they hold up. Is this a good or bad idea?

I'm not sure what a "french toast bake" is, unless you mean baked french toast. I would be a bit concerned about keeping it hot if you have to transport it 30 minutes. Also, I like my french toast a bit soggy but a lot of folks like it well-cooked (dry).

The other option I'm considering is a breakfast casserole and I know that will do fine

I'd go with the breakfast casserole.

(I just realized that you said that the brunch was "Sunday", so if you meant today, this reply is too late!)

Christina

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50841 of 55993
Subject: Re: french toast bake Date: 10/12/2009 10:30 AM
I'd go with the breakfast casserole.

We make something like this, a bit of a french toast inspired bread pudding really. I'll have to go looking for the recipe as I don't have it right now. The nice bit was that you prep it the night before, and let it sit over night in the egg/cream-milk mixture. This lets you just pop it in the oven the next morning with out all that prep work.

I saw some recipe for cinamon rolls/sticky buns that didn't call for letting it rise overnight in the fridge and I thought it was a bit absurd. The author didn't think it was a big deal to get up 3 hours before breakfast to start the prep, but, well, bugger that. I'm all for yeasted rolls, but I don't want to be up at 4 AM so I can get them out in the morning.

Ford
Just not that dedicated

Author: PBJ23 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50843 of 55993
Subject: Re: french toast bake Date: 10/12/2009 8:41 PM
Thanks for your replies. Yes, I meant baked french toast :) I opted for my breakfast casserole and a veggie frittata. They went over well.

The author didn't think it was a big deal to get up 3 hours before breakfast to start the prep, but, well, bugger that. I'm all for yeasted rolls, but I don't want to be up at 4 AM so I can get them out in the morning.

That recipe would not be for me! Would much rather do prep the night before as well. :)

-PBJ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement