No. of Recommendations: 25
As I enjoy sharing the fruits of my labor with others, I frequently invite visitors to pick whatever flowers they like from our garden, or take a bouquet to my favorite restaurant for decoration. Sharing them on the board here is a bit more complicated, but then my former secretary gave me an idea: rather than photograph them, cut some flowers, lay them face down on the scanner until the glass is covered, cover them with a black cloth and scan them. So, what she suggested is what I have: An assortment of some of the things currectly blooming in our flower beds.

http://slapstick01.homestead.com/files/flowerscan.jpg

I do want to pass on a few words of caution if you intend to do this:
All flowers contain a myriad of tiny insects, so when you bring them inside, make sure there are no house-plants nearby, do the scanning quick, then take your scanned flowers right back outside. If you don't, the insects will find their way onto your indoor plants and thrive in the constant atmosphere of the house.

~jscott
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Josie, that is wonderful!

Hi Josie,

It's a good thing you haven't provided your home address as you'd probably have a lot more visitors now wanting flowers. ;-)

Those are beautiful! And a great idea and job scanning them as well!

Thanks,

ßill╒
("Ditto," says my wife)
Beautiful!

That's a great idea.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I just made your picture my wallpaper!

Jean
Great idea Jean!

Josie, it seems like some of us are getting some of your flowers anyway. Thanks!

ßill╒
Josie, What are the flowers with the daisy blooms? Are they annuals? I'm envious. Nothing much is blooming up here in the north. We had snow last Wednesday...then hail!

Did you plant seeds or plants? Do you let them reseed?

Jean
Dat wuz veri pretti.
A lovely sight on a Monday morning.

Joan, thankful for flowers
"What are the flowers with the daisy blooms?"

Jean:

As far as I remember, all our daisies are Argyranthemum variants. My current favorite is the A. frutescens , or Ruby Slippers, the one with the carmine red petals and yellow centers. They provide a nice splash of contrast among the many yellows and reds.

"Did you plant seeds or plants? Do you let them reseed?"

They are all nursery stock plants and appear to be hybrids because I've had no luck with reseeding them. However, since all of them are perennial in our zone, and require heavy pruning between flowering bursts, I root the cuttings, and have about a 50% success rate with them, which is more than I need, since every inch of gardening space is already filled with something.

The only exception is the one with the white petals and yellow centers. These are prolific seed-droppers. We consider them weeds, and will let them grow only where they need to fill temporarily blank areas. They bloom from late winter into late spring and drop kazillion seeds. Since they like cool weather, they'd probably do well in your area. Let me know if you'd like some seeds and I'll send you a ton or two.

~josie
Careful Jean,

Let me know if you'd like some seeds and I'll send you a ton or two.

You might literally have a truck backing up in your yard soon, LOL.

ßill╒
(who's going to be brave enough to ask for some seeds too)
Oh, the Argyranthemum isn't hardy here. We use it in pots sometimes. That's the problem with living where the temp can get below 0 F.

The White petals and yellow center is cosmos, I recognized it. It reseeds here too.

Jean
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks for sharing the flowers, Jo - hope you don't mind, we saved them to put into our computer jigsaw puzzle program. All those pinks will make a great puzzle - Linda in Florida
Advertisement