UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59194  
Subject: Re: College degree value Date: 5/2/2013 2:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 28
Friedman wrote a book on this back in the 1990s or earlier called 'the World is Flat'

It's been several years since I read 'The World is Flat', but I still think this is the best of those that have looked at this issue. Maybe that's just because it was the one I read first.

Mostly right on....but now even 'low cost' places like China are seeing jobs move to Vietnam and Malaysia for even lower cost wages.......... since China has a labor shortage and increasing wages......those jobs that went to China can just as easily now be moved elsewhere....

Which only proves the point: The world is flat. The fact that China and India are rapidly losing jobs to Malaysia and Indonesia should frighten us all.

China will graduate more students with engineering degrees this year than exist in the rest of the world today. . . Think about that for a second. The PRC government is investing massive amounts of money in Universities and university education. Meanwhile, in the US, college education is increasingly expensive and out-of-reach. Which population is more likely to gain meaningful employment from multi-national engineering corporations in the future?

It will be difficult enough for US workers to compete in the future, but I just don't see how making education too expensive to be obtainable is going to help.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement