UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: spl241 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884560  
Subject: Re: $200 a month food budget Date: 1/4/2013 2:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
from 1DEG:

..having gestational diabetes, I'm at greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes, but the longer I keep that at bay by keeping my health in check, the longer we can go without having to pay for those supplies and additional medical costs diabetes entails.

It's been just short of 3 years ago I discovered I was a type 2 diabetic. I wish you my sincerest best in keeping it at bay via lifestyle changes in weight control, exercise, and of course an appropriate diet. Accepting my diagnosis and acting upon it has probably been one of the biggest jolts in my life.

Eating "diabetically correctly" isn't cheap at all. Fresh produce and fruits, as you know, are costly. Even then, I have to be aware of certain things that raise my blood glucose, things like fresh pineapple, carrots, peas, and a few other starchier vegetables. I love parsnips but they're simply out. Occasionally, I eat bananas, which are relatively carby, but in limited amounts--often just half one day and half the next.

After my blood sugar came down 100 points from a lofty 251, my doc was pleased and reminded me to reward myself once in a while. I made some fresh salsa with crushed tomatoes, cilantro, minced garlic, onion, and crushed cayenne. I bought a small bag of Doritos and saw that seven of them had 19 carbs. So I reached in and made sure I got 7 unbroken ones and dutifully paper-clipped the bag shut. I wanted to keep going and going and going....but the thought of the guilt I knew I would have stopped me.

I'm doing so well (pills only, thank goodness) that I decided on a small baked bean reward recently, one of those small microwaveable containers. I laughed as I thought how many of those would probably have totaled what I ate pre-diagnosis. One look at the label: 48 carbs in that teeny thing! Back on the shelf it went.

You mentioned cost of diabetic supplies if you ever acquired type 2. The meter and the lancets are fairly cheap, but it's the testing strips that can really ding you. Just one of those skinny things costs about $1.55, and if you require 2-3 tests a day X 30 days in a month, the math gets depressing. I am SO glad I am on Medicare, the best birthday present I ever got. I'm paying about $3600/year for basic M-Care, an Rx plan, and a supplemental (gap) plan.

I used to silently curse people in the middle of grocery aisles studying labels. Now I "study" too as I stay close to the shelves. Label-readers in my way don't bother me like they used to, either. For all I know, they've got skin in the same game as I do.

Take care of yourself, 1DEG. Best wishes.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement