UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: HOGridin Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 260  
Subject: Re: President's Day sale gone bad Date: 2/22/2008 10:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
from another board: "It might surprise you that [some] of the auto factories built in the USA in the last 20 years have been built by foreign companies- Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and, to a lesser degree, European auto makers.

So while the company may be "foreign", they are actually adding jobs to the USA."

I am keenly aware of the growth of assembly plants being built here. Where US auto plants have had entire cities grow up around, them providing jobs for family generations, infastructure, and promised retirement; costs of aging plants and older workers makes green-field plants in other states more cost advantageous. But I know of far too few who have research, development and engineering centers here in the US. Many of those plants are choke full of imported machine tools also, which, by the way, are only bolted to the floor, not permanently affixed. Most of their engineers are expatriates who spend intern-like periods on rotation here.

Be that as it may, when our promised $600 spending incentive from Congress and Gee Dubya #43 (since the solution to economic problems is to have US consumers buy more goods) when that is gone and we stop buying goods from those plants because our economy as a net importer and our innovative design & manufacturing brain-trust is overseas, what do you think will happen to those jobs?

Do you really believe that equipment, investment and those new jobs won't be packed up and shipped to India, China, South America or where ever the next large spending consumer-driven economy is thriving?

I could be wrong,
I hope I am.

IMHO, too many young American lives have been lost defending our right to buy imports only to have no future once they are too old to fight anymore.

HOGr
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement