UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: lggie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5791  
Subject: Re: Of Interest To Rats Date: 4/19/2009 10:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
From Chris J. van Boxtel, MD, PhD
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands:
Artemisia, Qinghaosu and Wormwood
These compounds are derived from the herb Artemisia annua, in
China known as ‘qinghao’ (Chinese for “from green herb”), which
is a member of the ‘Asteraceae’ family. Qinqhao, notwithstanding
a bitter taste also known as ‘sweet Annie’ or ‘sweet wormwood’,
is a fragrant annual herb, which now grows wild in a number of
countries, including Australia, Argentina, Bulgaria, France,
Hungary, Italy, Spain and the United States. It is native to Asia
and has been used as antiparasitic therapy for malaria in
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for more than 1,000 years.
The earliest reference to the medicinal use of artemisia annua in
‘The Fifty Two Prescriptions’ which was uncovered in ancient
Chinese burial tombs during an archaeological dig in the 1970s,
dates back more than 2,000 years. There are more than 300
species that comprise the genus Artemisia, many of which are
sources of herbal medicines, spices or essential oils.

Chinese chemists isolated the primary active ingredient in
artemisia annua from the leafy portion of the plant in 1972 and
called the crystalline compound, ‘qinghaosu’ - or ‘artemisinin’ in
the West. http://www.who-umc.org/graphics/4467.pdf

‘The Fifty Two Prescriptions’ and TCM predate Berkeley.

Iggie, you should know me well enough by now to know that my approach to wellness and therapy is INTEGRATIVE.
Sheila

The person that publicized artemicinin in the US is Dr. Robert Jay Rowen, a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Johns Hopkins University and graduate of the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine is internationally known for his work in the field of complementary/alternative/integrative medicine. He uses artemicinin in his practice and works closely with Vietnamese doctors who use it extensively.

Forget about scientific human trials, It ain't gonna happen. It's a natural herb and the Chinese have already isolated the active chemical ingredient.

Jane, my ex lives in the equivalent of Mayberry, USA. They've got a Barney Fife but not even one doctor. She lives in Tennessee where naturopathy is outlawed. Her cancer doc told her up front that she had a very aggressive cancer but that chemo often worked better on aggressive cancers. Our fear is that the cancer will return with a vengeance, but with a resistance to chemo drugs. I feel that we must stay on top and fight the cancer demon before it gets the upper hand. My cousin scoffed at alternative methods and he's now in hospice.

I'm advising Jane to take artemicinin, alternating one month on and one month off. I'm confident that it's much safer than pharmaceutical drugs.

She lives a couple of hundred miles from me. I'm doing the best I can with my limited knowledge.

Iggie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement