Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
 
No. of Recommendations: 0
From my docotor's web site:

ADHD Causes
Question: What causes ADHD?

Answer: Personality is thought to be 1/2 temperament which is primarily genetic. But personality disorders are thought to be primarily learned, maladaptive, and mostly deficits in character development. ADHD on the other hand has been found to be 75% genetically determined. Studies include comparing ADHD identical vs. fraternal twins and studying individuals who have been adopted at birth. The likelihood that they will turn out to be ADHD primarily correlates with the presence or absence of these traits in their biologic parents not their adoptive parents. This is much less true for personality disorders or character.

So whether we are ADHD is mainly (75%) determined by how we choose our parents and the luck of the draw. What about the other 25%? Several things have been found to increase the chances that ADHD traits in childhood will continue into adult life. This includes early childhood trauma and neglect which increase risk/severity of ADHD symptoms. Early exposure to television correlates with increased severity of ADHD symptoms also. Undoubtedly being exposed to high stimulation such as computer games, or maybe even computers themselves will result in brain adaptations that might make it harder to focus in low stimulation settings. Modern lifestyle with the demands for multi-tasking will be more difficult for “all or none” ADHD personalities.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement