UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 748777  
Subject: Re: Good meeting last night Date: 12/12/2012 10:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
From my experiences, more folks 'want' to volunteer than is obvious in most situations. Quite often it is the power trip of the folks running things that is the problem.

I think a lot of the problem getting volunteers stems from the small number of kids we have (which limits the number of parents we have of course!) and that so many just assume that the guy leading it now has been there so long he can do it all. There has been a LOT more turmoil in the committee than has been evident in the pack meetings. I had no idea until I started attending the committee meetings that he was doing two-jobs because the previous Cubmaster basically quit at the last moment because he just didn't have the time for it. I was too new to see any of the signs that things weren't peachy keen. It wasn't until I went to that meeting and there were only three of us (the Committee Chair/Cubmaster, the Asst. Treasurer and me) that I had any clue as to the actual situation, and even then I didn't know all of it (I'm sure they didn't want me to run away screaming, lol!)

Finding volunteers is a bit of a struggle these days. Of the two other den parents I e-mailed directly right after that first meeting only one answered, and his wife is going back to school at night so he's taking care of their kids and didn't want to volunteer for a major role. I just need to convince him and everyone else that their role doesn't have to be major. It can be as simple as helping organize one outing. If every parent did that we'd have MORE than enough help.

I'm organizing one of our den's Go-See-Its (they have to visit a police or fire station as one of their five Go-See-Its to get their Tiger Cub badges... I work at a police station, done!) I've asked my wife to work with the person setting up the Blue and Gold banquet because eventually that person's son will move on (or otherwise leave the pack) and someone else will need to know what to do in order to get that banquet up and running. Even if she doesn't run it she can help whomever does with the knowledge of what needs to be done.

I may have more free-time than most (my work hours are pretty set, they won't LET me work overtime other than football and I only have one job) so I'm taking on more... but I can't do all of it. If I have to organize every outing, every event, etc. the kids will suffer because I'm only one person. I think I can get others to help if I just let them know "Hey, can you do this one thing? Just make a few calls and line it up so we don't show up unprepared!" The one parent who didn't answer me works closely with an animal park nearby (my son went to his son's birthday party there, it was great!), it wouldn't be any more work to set up a visit from our den and any cost would be picked up by the pack itself. That's just one person I know who has a connection that can help us. We have to go to a sporting event. UofM has LOTS of sporting events, and they aren't at all expensive (outside of the major sports of course!) Any parent that works at UofM can set that up easily (which means I'll probably be doing that too.)

I think once they start helping they'll realize we aren't asking for them to move the world, just spend a couple hours helping your own kid and a bunch of other good kids to grow. Why did they join in the first place if they don't want their kids to have a bunch of neat experiences? Well, that can only happen if they help out a bit. It's part of the promise "The Cub Scout helps the pack go"... that means the Cub Scout's Akela helps the pack go too! It's a team effort.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement