Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: katiewa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: Investment Income Surtax Date: 12/3/2012 12:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 32
From one perspective, I'd love a 10% flat tax--just charge my husband and me 10% on ALL our income (wages, investments, capital gains--no deductions for anything) and I'd save a huge amount of time that I currently spend doing our taxes AND we'd save about 36% on 2012 taxes.

However, after I graduated in 1981, I taught at a small, private school in Fremont, California, and earned $10K/year. To have paid $1000 in federal income taxes would have been challenging--and I was single with almost no debt, rode my bike to work (and showered at work), house-sat for deployed military personnel (and still paid rent), ate no meat or cheese (eggs were a much cheaper source of protein), had no cable or satellite TV, no internet.

According to US Census data, in 2009, 13% of US households had income of under $15K/year. Yes, with a flat tax, the percentage is the same for everyone, which, on the surface, appears to be fairer than the convuluted mess we have now. Yes, social engineering certainly has the opportunity to cause as much damage as it fixes. But assuming a flat rate tax, the difference between my after-tax funds just out of college and our after-tax funds now is substantial: the one was barely liveable WITHOUT a 10% flat-tax; our current allows considerable luxury even with the current tax system.

I'd LOVE to keep more of my money. But someone has to pay for our government, and I am much more able to afford the 17% that I currently pay on my adjusted gross than some would be able to pay a 10% flat tax.

Kathleen
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement