UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: PSUEngineerFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76392  
Subject: Re: Honest IRA/Roth Comparisons Date: 3/30/1998 11:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
From Ray's response:

<< And the people who qualify *can* afford to do it. It just takes some financial discipline. I doubt that
you'd tell me that a family earning $40k (the *beginning* of the nondeductible phase-out range for
1997!) can't afford $2k for an IRA.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you. I think the data gathered by the US government bear me
out.
Back-of-the-envelope estimates:
$40,000 annual income, family of four.
Fed tax= $4,500 ($10,000 std deduction)
State = $1,200 (flat 4% of AGI)
FICA = $3,000 (7.5% of $40,000)
Total taxes = $8,700

Housing $12,000 (est $1000 per month)
food $5,200 ($100 per week, $25 per person per week)
utilites $2,400 ($200 per month, gas, electic, phone)
clothing $2000 ($500 per person per year)
car $4,800 ($400 per month, payments & insurance)
Total major expenses: $26,400

Left over cash, $4,900 ($40,000 - 8,700 - 26,400)

Minor & misc expenses can easily consume that remaining $4,900--I didn't account for any credit
card payments or any other loan payments, or any other savings (such as saving for college
expenses for the kids).>>

If your add insurance to your example, your example will make it clearer that it is hard to contribute $2k with a family income of $40,000. Where I work, family health insurance will cost $250/month or $3000/year. Your could gamble and go uninsured, but I wouldn't gamble on it.

And don't forget life insurance. You need some for both of you even if your spouse doesn't work. The non-working spouse needs insurance because who will take care of the kids while you are working if he/she dies. Life insurance should set a family back $30-$50 per month.

In the end, not much left over for regular house and car maintenance, birthdays, Christmas, and other small costs.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement