UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76113  
Subject: Re: Pension - lump sum or annuity? Date: 4/26/2014 4:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
From the context of your note, it sounds as if you're leaving before what would be your "normal" retirement age (65 or over, depending on your birth date) and your company allows you to start some/all of your retirement early or just wait until "normal" retirement.

I don't think you realize it, but what you've asked is a very complex and personal question which requires quite a bit of information. Having gone through the very same situation, I very strongly suggest you consult a "for fee" financial planner as there are a number of factors which come into play and you are making a really, really important decision which will affect the rest of your life. You will find that questions about your life and trust in the company to deliver on its obligations will influence your decision just as much - if not more - than the actual numbers.

What I did in your shoes was this:

1) Figured out what the discount rate was (they wouldn't say).

2) Figured out how much each early retirement option actually hosed me.

3) Sat down with DW and went through all the options.

We wound up taking part of the money as an immediate annuity and the remainder as a lump sum which was rolled over into a retirement account. We also picked the option for recursion (if DW dies before me, I can go back to a single-life amount which is higher) and survivorship (the pension keeps going to her after I die).

I can talk with you some more about this; PM me if you want to.

BlueGrits
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Microsoft Admits Defeat and Wins?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement