Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
From the reading I've done online and in reading Pub 970, I thought the answer was 'Yes'.

Thanks for the catch.

You are correct where it matters. The key is that a contribution to a 529 with the same beneficiary as the Coverdell is considered a qualified education expense when determining the taxable portion of a Coverdell distribution. It's not a "rollover," but actually that's a plus since you're not limited by the 60 day rule. You just have to make the contribution in the same year as you took the distribution.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.