Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
From what I understand. The rebate is inluie of 2001 taxes that you owe. For instance come april 15,2002 instead of owing say $1500 a single filer would only owe $1200. Therefore instead of waiting 1 year for this savings to show up to the average taxpayer the government is going to send out a check for $300 in july and august. Therefore if you are single and paid no taxes for the the year 2000 you would not get a refund. If you were single and only owed $200 in taxes last year then your rebate would only be $200 that is what is meant by upto $300. Thus, the tax changes affects your tax libilty if you had no tax libility for 2000 you would not get a rebate. If youhad upto $300 tax libility last year you would get the amount of tax libility you had. More then $300 tax libility you would get a max of $300 if you are single, $500 for heads of households and $600 for married. Hope this helps....
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.