No. of Recommendations: 0
From what I've read 457(b) money can be moved into your new employer's 457(b), 403(b) or 401(k) if the plan accepts such transfers, or into a Rollover IRA. It's possible that the current plan adminstrators your current employers uses doesn't allow transfers or even has 457(b) plans.

My wife is a teacher in a public school and she had no problem rolling funds from an old/inactive 403(b) account (from previous employer in different state) into a Fidelity Rollover IRA. A good source for information on 457 plans can be found at as well as the IRS website

There are many distinct differences between 403 & 457 plans. Some differences that caught my attention are:
(1) 457 plans are exempt from the 10% premature distribution penalty under IRC 72(t).
(2) 403 plans are really insurance products in sheeps clothing, carry high expenses and usually require distribution in typical annuity formats.

Not all schools districts offer 457 plan options as the insurance industry got their hooks into schools a long time ago.....
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.